The Newmans

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Refinishing the wood floors pt2

    Well my first post about refinishing our wood floors has been a big hit. I get web hits on that one post almost daily. So it goes to show many of you are undergoing the same task.
        Refinishing our hard wood floors was the first project we took on when we moved in last year. I was really overwhelmed about the idea, since paying someone would have taken us way over budget. Luckily for us my husband's co-worker had refinished countless floors and offered his services. It was an answer to prayers.
        It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but be ready to work. It's not complicated work, but it is physical.



Step One: Rent a sander
We rented the larger sander and all the staining brushes from an off the wall place for $60-80 for 24 hours. Way cheaper than Lowes or Home depot...I think. I wish I wrote this blog a year ago when we did the project. You might want to double check. Remember to look around for the best rental prices because a few places we looked were $200+ if my memory serves me right.



Step two: Clean all the dust.
Sweep and vacuum  the wood dust, repeat again the next day to make sure all the dust has settled.

Step three: Start brushing on the stain.
We used Minwax from Home Depot.Youtube the best way to brush it on. It's not quit the same as painting a wall.





Step four: Sealer
Again we used the stuff at Home Depot. Make sure you wear socks. We had fans blowing all night  to help the stain dry. It took several days because of the humidity. Then the sealer took another few days to dry.Again Youtube the best way to apply the sealer.








The finished look:



No comments:

Post a Comment